Since the events of the Astroworld Festival last month, where numerous people were injured and ten lost their lives in a massive crowd crush during rapper Travis Scott’s performance, Scott has been under intense scrutiny, not to mention legal pressure. The injured and families of those who were killed have filed lawsuits against the event, its organizers, and Scott himself, with the primary criticism leveled against him being continuing the show in spite of pleas from the crowd to stop.
Scott opened up on his feelings on the matter for the first time during a YouTube interview with rapper Charlamagne tha God, claiming that he wasn’t aware of any injuries until well after the fact.
“I didn’t know the exact details until minutes before the press conference [after my set],” he said. “And even at that moment you’re like, ‘Wait, what?’
“It’s so crazy because I’m that artist too — anytime you can hear something like that, you want to stop the show,” he said. “You want to make sure fans get the proper attention they need. Anytime I could see anything like that, I did. I stopped it a couple times to just make sure everybody was OK. And I really just go off the fans’ energy as a collective — call and response. I just didn’t hear that.”
Travis Scott talks about what happened at Astroworld Fest in first interview since tragedy. https://t.co/VtUokuwWbN
— Complex Music (@ComplexMusic) December 9, 2021
When asked about the generally intense climate that typically accompanies his shows, Scott said he as been trying to lessen that atmosphere. “Us as artists, we trust professionals for when things happen that people can leave safely. And this night was just like a regular show, it felt like to me, as far as the energy. It didn’t feel like, you know… people didn’t show up there just to be harmful. People just showed up to have a good time and then something unfortunate happened and I think we really just got to figure out what that was.”